If you like what you read, please share

A Talk With Barbara Bonfigli

Earlier this month, I introduced you to author, Barbara Bonfigli and talked about her book, Cafe Tempest. Barbara is joining us today for a very informative interview. Enjoy!

1. Welcome, Barbara! Could you please take a moment to tell us about yourself?

I've been writing since I was two when someone gave me a box of crayons. eventually I learned the alphabet or I might have had much earlier success as a graffiti artist. Being a Pisces I am hard wired to move on, and my fins need water. So although I've traveled to all the continents by all available means -- from hitchhiking to helicopter -- when I discovered Greece I knew I'd found my native land. Theater is one of my favorite art forms and nothing is more fun than rehearsals, so when I was cooking up the main plot I had no trouble picking an amateur production of one of the English language's greatest plays. Friendship and yoga and loving whoever you love are topics I'm passionate about, so they found their way naturally into my novel.

2. Cafe Tempest is a "fictional memoir". What made you go this route instead of a personal memoir?

A fictional memoir allows me to create situations and use my powers of imagination, as well as memory. It adds a greater dimension to the creative process.

3. While this is your first published novel, your writing style says you have been writing for some time. Can you share with us the path you traveled to get to this point?

I've always been a writer and have written two screenplays which have yet to be produced. Working with a composer I've written the lyrics for several theatrical productions, and that continues. Songwriting indulges my twin loves of music and literature; and it's so fast! I've been writing "Café Tempest" for a long time while working in the theater and in television production. One day I decided to finish it.

4. Are you working on anything new at the moment? If so, can you please reveal a little about it?

Welcome to the new world of internet marketing. I'll soon be sending out a couple of travel articles that are taking up room in my desk, but the next novel won't happen until Café Tempest has reached what I believe is a large and varied audience.

5. Barbara, I think most authors find that promotion is more difficult than they realized. Has that been the case with you and what have you done in the way of promotion that seems to be the best "fit" for your personality?

We've just completed an author video, soon to be released. It was nothing but fun. And a series of Greek travel tips, even more fun. Challenging yes, but I love exercising my creative brain (a wine tasting will do when nothing else presents itself.) I've also arranged for four book signing events/parties, in New York, Santa Fe and Chicago, in just the first month of publication. But you're on to something; I had NO IDEA how much promotional work would be required of me.

6. Where can readers find out more about you and your book?

Best site is
www.cafetempest.com.

It has a biography, early reviews, a few chapters and now some interviews from radio and TV.
My publisher Tell Me Press also has a very good website
www.tellmepress.com

7. Is there anything else you would like to share with our readers today?

In addition to being (I hope) a funny, multi-layered, Greek infused tale of adventure and self-discovery, Café Tempest presents an off-beat, some might say provocative love story. When they've finished the novel, I would like to hear from your readers' what they think and feel about it.


To learn about Barbara Bonfigli and Café Tempest, feel free to visit any of these sites.

Barbara Bonfigli’s website – www.cafetempest.com

Order Café Tempest directly from the publisher - http://www.tellmepress.com/pub_ct.php

or from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Café-Tempest-Adventures-Small-Island/dp/0981645313

To see the complete tour schedule visit http://virtualblogtour.blogspot.com/2009/05/cafe-tempest-by-barbara-bonfigli-summer.html

Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

Unknown said...

According to one source I read, Memoirs are big sellers. To come up with a fictional one is a great idea.
Good luck!

Nikki Leigh said...

Hi Joyce

Thank you for sharing your interview with Barbara :)

Nikki Leigh

Barbara Bonfigli said...

Hi Joyce,

I'm delighted to be back on your website; you've asked some great questions. I hope your readers will engage with me before during and after
reading Café Tempest. they can find me on my website
www.cafetempest.com

Thanks again,
Opa! barbara

Post a Comment